Kayak, Canoe & Stand-Up Paddle Board Rentals on Quadra Island
Important changes for 2021: For our 2021 season, we will be providing full-lodge bookings only. As a result, we will not be staffing the lodge full-time, and will be limited on which dates and times we will be able to offer equipment rentals to non-lodge guests. In addition, we will only be offering rentals for 3 or more days. Please inquire for more information.
When you begin a kayak, canoe, or stand-up paddleboard (SUP) rental from our wilderness lodge on Quadra Island, you’re already in the heart of one of Vancouver Island’s prime kayak wilderness touring areas, close to rainforest trails, freshwater swimming lakes, secluded beaches, marine parks and island campsites. You can also stay a few days at Discovery Islands Lodge B&B, a great place to base your kayaking vacation!
Coast Mountain & Discovery Lodge staff live nearby, and have years of kayak touring experience. We are very familiar with the Discovery Islands and coastal Vancouver Island shorelines, and are happy to offer advice as you prepare for your self-guided adventure.
The Discovery Islands offer near limitless possibilities for exploration, but are also subject to potentially dangerous winds, waves, and tidal rapids. Knowledge of paddling and rescue skills is essential for kayak travel in the Discovery Islands. We want you to have a wonderful paddling experience and return safe & sound!
We require that at least half your group have solid kayaking skills and knowledge. For overnight kayak rentals, we require Paddle Canada Level 1 Sea Kayak Skills Certification or equivalent paddling ability and knowledge. For day paddles in sheltered waters, we require Paddle Canada Basic Sea Kayak Skills certification or equivalent paddling ability. Solo renters must be able to demonstrate a strong self-rescue.
If you do not have appropriate kayaking skills or have slightly rusty skills, consider our half-day refresher course, Paddle Canada kayak courses, or a guided kayak day or multi-day trip. All are fun ways to build kayaking skills and experience!
We are pleased to offer a wide variety of high end fibreglass touring sea kayaks manufactured by Necky, Seaward, Nimbus and Current Designs. Coast Mountain rental kayaks come fully equipped with a lightweight kayak paddle, nylon spray skirt, PFD (must be worn), self-rescue device, spare paddle, and buoyant heaving line.
We also rent Nigel Dennis Kayaks. These high performance sea kayaks are designed specially for advanced paddling. They are great for developing skills and technique, as well as kayaking in Quadra Island’s tidal rapids!
Single fiberglass kayak: $70/day, Double fiberglass kayak $105/day.
We rent top quality Canadian made Esquif Canoes. For ocean paddling you can launch at Discovery Islands Lodge and explore island shorelines or drive 3 km (2 mi) to Main Lakes Provincial Park for a superb freshwater lakes paddling experience. We have roof top car carriers available for transporting canoes.
Canoe rental: $75/day
Stand Up Paddleboards – SUP Rentals
We have stand up paddleboards! Made by NRS, we have several models to suit your size and experience level. Show your stuff and/or these are lots of fun for beginners… wonderful for exercise & play on the ocean and really easy to take to nearby warm water lakes.
Inflatable SUP rental: $50/day
Rental Prices (taxes not included)
- Upon reservation of a kayak or canoe rental, we will send you an info package. Please read it! It contains important information and local knowledge for your paddle. We will also send you a trip itinerary document, which should be completed to the best of your ability at the time of arrival.
- We are happy to offer tips and route advice, but ask that all multi-day renters come with a trip plan. There are a variety of online and print resources to help with planning a kayak trip in the Discovery Islands.
- We ask that all renters have a basic understanding of tides and currents and be able to read a tide and current table (see instructions in your rental package). We’re happy to fill in any blind spots at time of rental.
- We require all renters to have knowledge of and adhere to Leave No Trace Principles.
- We require all renters to carry a cellphone or VHF radio for emergency communication.
The Fine Print
- We may ask you to demonstrate kayaking proficiency and reserve the right to deny rental at your expense if we feel that you do not have appropriate skills to stay safe and travel responsibly.
- We do not allow our kayaks to be transported long distances by vehicle or paddled into any mainland inlets.
- Transport via water taxi is permitted only if it is equipped with kayak racks.
- A liability waiver must be signed.
- Unaccompanied minors may not rent kayaks.
- A PFD must be worn by renters at all times.
- Renters are responsible for the cost of replacing or repairing lost or damaged equipment.
- Renters are responsible for supplying their own marine charts.
Please contact us by phone or email to inquire about making a reservation for equipment rentals. Unless you have a confirmed reservation, we can not guarantee that we will have equipment available when you arrive. 250-285-2823 | email@example.com
• When we receive your reservation, we will commit to having your requested equipment available on the dates reserved.
• A non-refundable $100 credit card deposit is required at the time of reservation. If the total for your rental is less that $100, the full amount will be due to secure the reservation.
• Balance of payment will be taken at start of rental.
Please be sure of your dates and plans! When we reserve kayaks or canoe for you, we cannot have it available for anyone else, so cancellations will be subject to the following charges prior to the rental:
• >30 days: Loss of deposit or 50% rental cost, whichever is lower.
• 30 – 7 days: 50% of rental cost will be charged.
• Within 1 week: full rental cost will be charged.