Summer 2021 Offerings
Due to Covid 19, we’ll be running the lodge a little differently this season. We are offering 3 night lodge rentals packaged with a full-day guided kayak day trip for custom bubble groups.
These changes mean that your group can enjoy a safe and comfortable stay with minimal outside contact. You’ll have exclusive use of lodge accommodation, and full access to the dock and floating sauna (we will continue to run kayak day trips and rentals from the dock/lower level of the lodge). Note that you will be responsible for all of your own meals.
Our private guided kayak day trips explore the best parts of the Surge Narrows Marine Park and surrounding area, and include expert guiding, a hearty lunch and all kayaking equipment. More experienced groups of paddlers can request extra instruction or more advanced kayaking tours. Custom instructional courses may also be available; please inquire for details!
Kayak rentals are also available for individuals who meet our skills and experience requirements.
Rates (June 15-Sep 15)
$600/night + $50/night for each additional person over 8 (maximum group size: 12) + $110 per person for kayaking (minimum 4, maximum 10 participants).
• Rates based on 3 night booking and double occupancy (rounded up); each additional single room adds one-time fee of $20/booking.
-Eg. Group of 7 at double occupancy = 4 rooms included for $600/night.
-Eg. Group of 7 at single occupancy = 4 rooms included + 3 single rooms = $60 additional one-time charge/booking. Cost per night for 3 night stay: $620.
• Cabana included for groups of 10+ that require it (ie: not enough rooms in lodge), groups smaller than 10 pay additional $100 for use of Cabana.
• All rates are based on the maximum number of guests during a stay, although we can offer some flexibility on bookings greater than 3 nights.
Reservations & Payment
Please our Reservations page for available dates. A $100/night non-refundable deposit required at time of booking. Balance of payment, final group number, and room combinations due 14 days ahead of booking. No decreases to group size permitted past this date (we can sometimes accommodate increases).
About the Lodge & Facilities
Beds will be made up with a clean sheet, pillow & pillow case. You are responsible for bringing your own top-bedding (ie. sleeping bag or duvet and top sheet) and towel(s).
The lodge has four bathrooms with toilets & wash sinks. Bedrooms do not have bathrooms in them (except the Cabana Suite). There are two showers with hot & cold running water, and there is also a wood fired sauna on the dock.
We have six regular rooms which have two single beds, one double bed, or single bunk beds. Maximum 2 people.
We have two family rooms that have one double bed and two single beds (bunk beds). Maximum 4 guests; 2 adult maximum.
Our cabana suite is located in a stand alone building with a private en-suite bathroom (showers shared). It can have either two single beds and one double, or two double beds. Maximum 2 guests.
What we provide:
- Full, exclusive use of top two floors of the lodge, shared access to dock and downstairs. Beds provided with clean bottom sheet, pillow, pillow case.
- Firewood is provided; please be mindful of consumption.
- Quality rental kayaks, canoes, and paddleboards available.
What we don’t provide:
- Top bedding, towels
- Exclusive use of deck/dock (we may use the dock to run our own programs).
- Wifi or cell service (there is a cell phone booster for one-at-a-time use).
- Any sort of lodge attendant (you will be on your own, but we are reachable and located 30 minutes away).
- Access to laundry services.
- Medium sized fridge/freezer unit. We recommend bringing coolers and ice packs for overflow if you have a large group.
- Propane stove with oven.
- Enough pots, pans, bakeware, dishes, serving dishes, cutlery, glasses, etc. to prepare and serve most meals for large groups.
- Coffee grinder, carafates, drip cone & filters.
Kitchen does NOT include:
- Basic condiments or supplies
- Tea or coffee
- Electric appliances/tools
It’s best to arrive with the food you’ll need for the duration of your stay. The nearest grocery store or restaurant is in Heriot Bay, which is approximately a 35-minute drive from the lodge. There are two well-stocked grocery stores on Quadra Island, at Heriot Bay and at Quathiaski Cove. Both carry a good selection of meat & seafood, dairy, fresh fruit and vegetables, organic-ethnic-specialty foods, bakery, wine, beer, and liquor.
About our off-grid location
Electricity: Our lodge is off-grid, and primarily powered by solar panels with a backup gas generator. Please reduce load on batteries by turning unused lights off. There is usually enough electricity to charge cameras, phones, and laptops. High draw electrical items with heating elements such as coffee makers, toasters, and hair dryers, cannot ever be used. We are not able to charge electric vehicles at this time. Your group will be responsible for the simple task of monitoring battery levels and turning on a generator when necessary.
Hot water: Hot water is provided via on-demand propane heaters. We are committed to being part of the global effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Please help us by minimizing hot water use.
Emergency: Discovery Islands Lodge is in a remote location. Ambulance service is at least one hour away. A trip to the hospital may take several hours, especially at night, and stresses limited emergency services. Please use caution around the water, when walking on slippery decks, always use lights/flashlights at night, and avoid excessive use of alcohol.
Fire safety: We are located outside the Quadra Island fire protection area. We take fire prevention very seriously.
- Extra care must be taken with wood stove fires.
- Oven, cookstove, & BBQ’s should be monitored continuously when in use. Check that they are turned off when finished!
- Smoking (and vaping) of all substances only permitted on the paved driveway area.
- Be familiar with locations of all fire extinguishers and evacuation plans.
- Check-in time 3pm, check-out time 10am.
- Please let us know exactly when you will arrive so we can coordinate to meet you for lodge orientation.
- Access to the dock area may be possible by special arrangement before and after these times.
Covid 19 Precautions:
- Please follow our current recommendations regarding maximum lodge capacity.
- Groups are advised to follow DIL Covid prevention suggestions, and to arrive with a Covid 19 prevention plan.
- We will provide plenty of disinfecting spray for regular cleaning.
- We require all group members to wear a mask during lodge intro/briefing and to physically distance from our staff.
- Use of the sauna is not recommended for groups practicing physical distancing.