Mar 22, 2020

Dear friends and customers,

Many of you have booked a stay at Discovery Islands Lodge, or are considering doing so for the summer season. 

Discovery Islands Lodge doesn’t officially open until May 29, which is more than two months away. Given the fluid and ever changing nature of the Covid 19 outbreak, we are cautiously optimistic that the outbreak will come under control, and we will be able to safely offer accommodation and kayaking services at Discovery Islands Lodge.   

The health and safety of our guests and staff is our top priority, and we will only offer accommodation and kayak tours if it is safe to do so. 

We understand that international travellers are currently facing travel restrictions. We are hopeful that those restrictions will be lifted prior to the start of our season, but continue to monitor the situation, and will be in touch to discuss options if travel restrictions persist.  

We will be in touch directly with everyone who has booked the lodge for group gatherings during our pre-season to discuss options. 

Right now, it’s important that we all do what we can to reduce our risk of exposure or transmission of Covid 19. Getting this virus under control is the best way to ensure a 2020 kayaking season, and a kayaking getaway will be just what we all need after we get through this!

If you have concerns about this, or anything else, we encourage you to get in touch by phone or email. We’re always happy to chat, and are hoping for a great season of kayaking! 

Sincerely,

Lannie, Ralph, Kate, Albert (& Koda), and the whole DIL team.

___________________________________________________

MEDIA RELEASE from the Strathcona Regions District: QUADRA COVID CLOSURE 2020

UPDATE March 27, 2020

Currently we are still planning to run regular operations at Discovery Islands Lodge, although we have postponed our regular opening until June 5

Covid 19 has introduced a lot of uncertainty into all of our lives, and you may be wondering what will happen if it becomes impossible for you to make it to the lodge.

Our cancellation policy remains the same, but we are offering the following relaxed cancellation policy for those directly affected by Covid 19. This includes, but is not limited to those affected by travel restrictions, cancellation of flights or other transportation, and those unable to travel due to underlying medical conditions. 

We have always recommended that guests book cancellation insurance. After Mar 4, most insurance companies stopped offering cancellation insurance for Covid 19.  

If you purchased third party travel insurance, and did so before March 4, we ask that you attempt to obtain a refund through your insurance provider. If your insurance provider will not do so, we will offer the option of a full refund of all funds paid, including our normally non-refundable deposit. We will also offer the option to re-book on any later available date during our 2020 season. Alternatively, we may also offer a credit to be used later in 2020 or during our 2021 season. 

If you booked after March 4, or booked before that date but did not purchase cancellation insurance, we will offer the opportunity to re-book on any future available date during our 2020 season. 

All requests for cancellation or re-booking must be made at least 14 days ahead of your reservation

We will be dealing with all cancellations and re-bookings on a case-by-case basis. If you’d like clarification or have questions, please get in touch by phone or email. We’re happy to chat! 

Anyone showing signs or symptoms of Covid 19 prior to arrival at lodge should get in touch immediately to discuss options. 

We will reassess our cancellation policies and operating procedures and release a statement on April 10.