Quadra Island Sea Kayak Rentals
The Discovery Islands offer near limitless possibilities for exploration, but are also subject to potentially dangerous winds, waves, and tidal rapids. Knowledge of paddling and rescue skills is essential for kayak travel in the Discovery Islands. We want you to have a wonderful paddling experience and return safe & sound!
We require that at least half your group have solid kayaking skills and knowledge. For overnight kayak rentals, we require Paddle Canada Level 1 Sea Kayak Skills Certification or equivalent paddling ability and knowledge. For day paddles in sheltered waters, we require Paddle Canada Basic Sea Kayak Skills certification or equivalent paddling ability. Solo renters must be able to demonstrate a strong self-rescue.
If you do not have appropriate kayaking skills or have slightly rusty skills, consider our half-day refresher course, Paddle Canada kayak courses, or a guided kayak day or multi-day trip. All are fun ways to build kayaking skills and experience!
We are pleased to offer a wide variety of high end fibreglass touring sea kayaks manufactured by Necky, Seaward, Nimbus and Current Designs. Coast Mountain rental kayaks come fully equipped with a lightweight kayak paddle, nylon spray skirt, PFD (must be worn), self-rescue device, spare paddle, and buoyant heaving line.
We also rent Nigel Dennis Kayaks. These high performance sea kayaks are designed specially for advanced paddling. They are great for developing skills and technique, as well as kayaking in Quadra Island’s tidal rapids!
Rental Prices (taxes not included)
- Upon reservation of a kayak or canoe rental, we will send you an info package. Please read it! It contains important information and local knowledge for your paddle. We will also send you a trip itinerary document, which should be completed to the best of your ability at the time of arrival.
- We are happy to offer tips and route advice, but ask that all multi-day renters come with a trip plan. There are a variety of online and print resources to help with planning a kayak trip in the Discovery Islands.
- We ask that all renters have a basic understanding of tides and currents and be able to read a tide and current table (see instructions in your rental package). We’re happy to fill in any blind spots at time of rental.
- We require all renters to have knowledge of and adhere to Leave No Trace Principles.
- We require all renters to carry a cellphone or VHF radio for emergency communication.
The Fine Print
We may ask you to demonstrate kayaking proficiency and reserve the right to deny rental at your expense if we feel that you do not have appropriate skills to stay safe and travel responsibly.
We do not allow our kayaks to be transported long distances by vehicle or paddled into any mainland inlets.
Transport via water taxi is permitted only if it is equipped with kayak racks.
A liability waiver must be signed.
Unaccompanied minors may not rent kayaks.
A PFD must be worn by renters at all times.
Renters are responsible for the cost of replacing or repairing lost or damaged equipment.
Renters are responsible for supplying their own marine charts.
Please contact us by phone or email to inquire about making a reservation for equipment rentals. Unless you have a confirmed reservation, we can not guarantee that we will have equipment available when you arrive. 250-285-2823 | email@example.com
• When we receive your reservation, we will commit to having your requested equipment available on the dates reserved.
• A non-refundable $100 credit card deposit is required at the time of reservation. If the total for your rental is less that $100, the full amount will be due to secure the reservation.
• Balance of payment will be taken at start of rental.
Please be sure of your dates and plans! When we reserve kayaks or canoe for you, we cannot have it available for anyone else, so cancellations will be subject to the following charges prior to the rental:
• 60 days or more: loss of deposit.
• 59-30 days or more: charge equivalent to one day of rental will be charged.
• 29 – 7 days: 50% of rental cost will be charged.
• Within 1 week: full rental cost will be charged.